These little pots of chocolate are a healthier option to the traditional chocolate mousse. The will satisfy your sweet tooth and they’re the perfect end to a meal.
- Serves: 4
- Prep. time:
- Cook time: Ready in about 40 minutes, plus 3-4 hours’ chilling time
- Total time: Over 60 Minutes
- 60g dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 1 orange
- 3 medium eggs, separated*
- 6 tbsp artificial sweetener
- ½ tsp crushed cardamom seeds
- 4 tbsp fat-free natural fromage frais, to serve
- Melt the chocolate in a large heatproof bowl over a pan of gently simmering water (or in the microwave on a low heat for 30 seconds). Allow to cool slightly. Finely grate the zest of half the orange and peel thin strips of zest from the other half. Set aside.
- Put the egg whites in a clean glass bowl. Beat with an electric hand whisk on a medium speed until they stand up in stiff peaks, but are not too dry.
- Whisk together the egg yolks, 4 tbsp sweetener, the grated orange zest and cardamom seeds. Mix with the chocolate.
- Using a large metal spoon, lightly fold in the egg whites until well combined. Spoon the mixture into 4 individual cups, ramekins or glasses and chill for 3-4 hours, or until set.
- Cut any white pith off the strips of orange peel and put in a small pan with the remaining sweetener and 400ml water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer gently for 12-15 minutes. Drain and allow to cool.
- Decorate each mousse with the crystallised orange zest and serve with a spoonful of fromage frais.
Tip: *Pregnant women, the elderly and babies should not eat raw or partially cooked eggs.
This is a Slimming World recipe so if you’re Food Optimizing these are the Syn Values per serving:
- Green: 4½
- Original: 4½
- Extra Easy: 4½