Five simple steps towards stress free healthy living
1. Controlled breathing will help to diffuse feelings of stress and anger. Five minutes each day breathe in slowly counting to five. Hold while counting to five again. Exhale slowly through your mouth, once again counting to five. Do 30 of these controlled breaths to remain calm.
2. Zzzzzzzzzzz – get enough sleep – at least 7 hours each night will ensure you are able to control your immediate reactions. If you can’t get 7 full hours each night, sneak a 10-20 min nap in the afternoon.
3. Healthy food – try to eat foods that contain B vitamins, such as whole grains, fish, eggs and leafy greens every day. These will help to regulate your nervous system and make it easier to remain focused. To keep your blood sugar levels steady and be less irritable, eat a nutritious snack or meal every three hours.
4. In moderation. . . . Avoid excess alcohol and caffeine which can impair judgement and drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration, which can cause confusion and irritation.
5. Body Magic – get rid of pent up energy by doing some form of exercise at least 3 times a week or indulge in a hobby such as gardening, painting or walking.