This brightly coloured dish of golden-orange butternut squash, red onion and white rice makes a substantial supper for four or a classic Italian starter for six. Serves: 4
Prep time: 15 minutes, Cook time: 50 minutes
Slimming World Syns per serving: Extra Easy: FREE, Green: FREE
454g/1lb butternut squash
1 large red onion
1 tbsp lemon juice
852ml/1½pt vegetable stock
1 garlic clove
340g/12oz dry risotto rice
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp freshly chopped Sage
1. Slice the skin from the squash and discard the seeds. Cut into 2cm/¾in chunks. Peel and finely slice the onion and toss in the lemon juice. Transfer both vegetables to a saucepan and pour over 284ml/½pt stock. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes until just tender. Turn off the heat and keep covered.
2. Peel and finely chop the garlic and place in a saucepan with the rice and 284ml/½pt stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes until the stock has evaporated.
3. Meanwhile, heat the remaining stock until just about to boil, and reduce the heat to maintain the temperature. Add the chopped sage and seasoning to the rice mixture and add a ladleful of stock; cook gently, stirring until absorbed.
4. Continue ladling in the stock until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is thick, creamy and tender. Keep the heat moderate. This will take 20-25 minutes.
5. Drain the pumpkin and red onion and stir gently into the rice. Heat through for 2 minutes.
6. Ladle into warmed serving bowls. Sprinkle with black pepper to serve.
Tip: If you like blue cheese, a little Stilton crumbled on top just before serving tastes wonderful!